As was previously written in my About Me post, I talked about my change onto a plant based diet. Below is what I have found so far to be the benefits of the Plant Based Diet.
First off – what is a Plant Based Diet?
A plant–based diet is a diet based on foods derived from plants, including vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds, legumes and fruits, with no animal products.
I don’t like to class it as a Vegan diet for two reasons:
- I believe that being Vegan is the whole package – diet is just a small part. A vegan for instance wouldn’t wear anything that was made from any Animal product or testing i.e Clothing or Cosmetics. This is a very vague overview and I won’t go into great detail but I hope you get the picture.
- I believe that the Vegan diet can be unhealthy – in other words you can still eat a lot of processed foods that aren’t great. Again, just my opinion. Again the plant based diet could do this but it focuses more on whole foods and not processed.
So what are the benefits of a Plant Based Diet?
- Research has shown that a wholefood plant based diet may help prevent some of our biggest killers – Heart disease, Type 2 Diabetes, high blood pressure etc.
- It is the only way of eating to have proven that it can reverse heart disease in patients – see Forks Over Knives documentary.
- Weight Loss – opting for Fruit, Veg and whole grains will leave you feeling fuller on fewer calories.
- A higher intake of Fiber through Fruit and Veg. This will aid digestion and may reduce cholesterol and blood sugar levels.
- Skin care -yes you can look more gorgeous!!! Animal products mean saturated
fats which are notorious for clogging pores. Did you know that the Vitamin C in sweet potatoes smooth wrinkles by stimulating the production of collagen.
How has it worked for me?
Simply put, I just feel amazing on the diet, or should I say, way of eating. It doesn’t feel like a diet as I never feel deprived at all.
So I was 212 lb and now I’m 174 lb – there’s the weight loss
My digestion is great nowadays. I used to have a few issues but they have all gone. My wife had IBS – that’s just about cleared due to the diet change. No more agony after certain meals.
Blood Sugar Levels – I used to have bad spikes throughout the day at work to the point of almost wanting to sleep. Not any more – My levels are consistent nowadays.
Sleep – I sleep so well now. I used to be a terrible sleeper, constantly waking in the night. I sleep really well nowadays and feel fresher in the morning.
My skin definitely feels and looks better – this is the opinion of others but I can also tell.
Fitness – there is no way a year ago that I would of believed I could run Ultra Marathons. I have done 4 this year as well as 3 Marathons too. I completely put that down to my diet.
The other thing I found in relation to my fitness is how quickly my body recovers. You can read it anywhere but you will hear countless people talk about how the Plant Based Diet has made an impact on the bodies ability to recover quickly.
One last thing – COOKING. I just cook everything fresh now and my taste buds have gone into overdrive. I didn’t realise food tasted so good before. Plus it’s not as expensive to do this as people may think or make out. What does a bag of oats, rice, potatoes cost for a week? Dried beans and pulses that you can soak? These are some of your base foods and they cost very little – you just need to think out what you need and it is no more expensive than buying meat and dairy (now they are expensive).
So there you have it. My take on the Plant Based Diet and what it has done for me.
If your thinking about trying it, why not just give it a go, there’s nothing to lose.
Please leave a comment below and let me know your opinion or if your thinking about trying the diet out. Even maybe a story or experience you have had.